-->

Tuesday 12 August 2014

Let the Party Begin!


When I was a kid my parents could only afford to give me 1 or 2 things on my birthday but to make up for that, they always allowed me to have big birthday parties.  This was a good idea for two reasons: 1) I felt special and loved and 2) my friends could provide the material things my parents couldn’t.  When I say that I had big parties, they were only “big” in that I was not limited in the number of guests I was allowed to invite, in fact my mother always said to invite twice as many people as I really wanted because she knew that more often than not, half of the people would not be able to come.  The parties I had were most always home parties with traditional games that cost little or nothing.  Decorations were nonexistent or simple at best and refreshments were usually limited to cake, ice cream and punch with a small toy, candy or balloon as a favor to take home.  Times have changed.  Today’s kids seem to expect a lot more–or perhaps it is the parents who want to provide more.  Regardless of who is responsible, today’s parents often pay hundreds of dollars for their kid’s parties.  I don’t condemn those who can afford to spend a lot on their parties but I do know that it is possible to provide entertaining and memorable events without breaking the bank.

The purpose of this blog is to share information.  I will be providing weekly party tips and tricks based on my experiences and research and would love to hear your party ideas, suggestions and successes.  After all, everyone is going to entertain at some point and we can all benefit from the collective knowledge and creativity of those around us.

Photo credit: iStockphoto

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...